Are you new to WordPress? or searching for how to create an XML sitemap in WordPress? then your search ends here. Here I’m going to share your simple method to create an XML sitemap on a WordPress website.
WordPress sitemap is a very important part of the website. If you want to index your website quickly in the search engines then the XML site can help you with it. Also, it will improve your webs pages visibility in search engines.
What is WordPress Sitemap?
A sitemap is a list of all web pages that helps visitors and search engine bots to access every single page on the website.
As per Search engine optimization, (SEO) point of view sitemap is very important for a website. Here are some main reasons that will help you to understand why it is important:-
- It helps search engine to easily crawl and index new web pages
- A sitemap helps search engine to inform about new changes to the website
- Also, it helps to index big websites that are not internally linked or well-structured.
What is the difference between the XML WordPress sitemap and HTML sitemap?
Two types of sitemaps are available – XML sitemap and HTML sitemap.
- XML Sitemap:- It contains metadata with web pages URLs. Also, other information like when a URL was last updated and how soon changes occur, etc.
- HTML Sitemap:- It is for the website visitors that help them easily navigate to any web page. It helps you to make your sites more user-friendly. Also, helpful in increasing the web search ranking.
In general, XML sitemap for search engines and HTML sitemap for website visitors.
I will recommend using both sitemaps on a website. It is because we should not miss any single elements of SEO. We never know which element can work for a website. So, try to follow all the essential points of SEO.
If you just start a new blog or website that has few back-links then a sitemap can help you to index web pages quickly.
Now, let’s know how to create both sitemaps in WordPress!
How to Generate/Create an XML sitemap in WordPress?
We can easily generate an XML sitemap in WordPress just by using a plug-in. There are multiple plugins are available but I will suggest you to create my using Yoast SEO or Google XML Sitemaps.
How to Generate an XML Sitemap by using Yoast SEO Plugin?
Yoast SEO is a very popular and most trusted plugin for improving website SEO. You can take care of all technical aspects of your website like- keyword density, readability, alt tags, etc. Also, it can assist you in creating an XML sitemap.
- Search Yoast SEO in the WordPress plugin directory and install it and activate the plugin.
- After activating the plugin, negative to SEO -> General from your WordPress dashboard and then go to the “Features” tab.
- Click on “On” button below the XML sitemaps and the click on “See the XML sitemap” link to check your XML sitemap of your website.
- You will be landed on the page that contains a list of XML sitemap URLs of your website.
How to generate sitemap with Google XML Sitemaps plugin?
You can easily create XML sitemap by using this plugin. Also, you can create sitemaps for all your WordPress web pages including custom pages. As well, this plugin automatically informs the all major search engines about the new content posted on the website.
- Installed the plugin from WordPress plug-in directory.
- Go to Settings -> XML-Sitemap to open the configuration page. Here you will find the URL for XML sitemap for wordpress.
How to Generate HTML sitemap for your WordPress website?
For creating HTML sitemap in WordPress. Just install “WP Sitemap Page” plugin and follow below steps:
- Create a new page by clicking the Pages -> Add New.
- Add this “[wp_sitemap_page]” short code to the page.
- After that, just click on Publish page button and visit the page URL for view the HTML sitemap.
Also, don’t forget to submit your XML sitemap to Google by using Google Search Console. If you don’t know how to submit it then read this post: –
The Last Word:-
Sitemaps are very important for a website. It’s not only create your website user friendly as well as increase the visibility of the website in the search engines. Also, Google easily can crawl and index your website.
If you are facing any issue or have any question… just comment in below section.
Also, you would like to read:-